Ever came from a ride to see your riding jacket filled with dust, insects or grime? Now what do you do? Hand wash the jacket, use the washing machine, or simply leave the jacket as is because you do not know how to wash it? Well, here are a few tips.
The first thing to check is if there are any washing instructions mentioned on a label on the jacket. If yes, kindly follow the instructions and wash accordingly. And now if your jacket does not have any washing instructions, then start by determining the type of jacket you have.
- Leather Jacket: If you have a leather jacket, then you are better off with using only special leather cleaning agents like the Motul leather cleaner, or the Dainese leather cleaning kit, or wash with just a little bit of water and then ensure it dries off quickly. The key here is that leather gets damaged if soaked in water for too long, and there are high chances of fungus developing.
- Synthetic jacket with waterproof coating: If your jacket is waterproofed by a waterproofing layer on the outside, then I would advise you to not wash the jacket too often in the washing machine and not hand wash with a scrubber. What you can do is simply apply mild detergent on the jacket and shower spray the jacket for a few minutes. But if your jacket is really dirty, remove all the armor, and then wash the jacket in a front-loading washing machine on a delicate cycle only. After drying out the jacket, you must re-spray it with any re-waterproofing after wash spray-ons like the Motorex Protex Spray or the Oxford Rainseal Spray.
- Synthetic jacket without waterproof coating: If you have a mesh/polyester based jacket without any waterproof coating, then you may wash your jacket in a washing machine on a delicate cycle after removing all the armor. If you do not have access to a washing machine, you can hand hand wash the jacket as well.
Et voila, you now know to keep your riding jacket look as good as new.
More on Moto Gear Advisor
Latest posts by Suraj Patil (see all)
- Motul Chain Lube: Review - October 26, 2015
- How to: Wash Riding Pants - October 21, 2015
- Bell Transitions SolFX Photochromic Face Shield: Review - October 19, 2015